Sunday 29 March 2015

Young Guard Voltigeurs Update 3

Hinton Hunt French Imperial Guard Voltigeurs
Well, here they are at last. Rumours of approaching Prussian cavalry had something to do with it!

If their dressing is looking a bit skew whiff this is because they are not glued to their bases. These fashionable Frenchmen have a rather long flight ahead of them, so they'll need to be individually wrapped and packed.

Hinton Hunt French Imperial Guard VoltigeursHinton Hunt French Imperial Guard VoltigeursMany many thanks to Roy for giving me the opportunity to paint these figures and experience them first hand. I think I can say I've had as close a look at these wonderful little sculptures as it's possible to get!

Going back to Prussians may be a bit of a disappointment after these chaps. I want to do some Frenchmen of my own now! However, I'm determined to be disciplined. No Frenchmen or their allies will be allowed until I have at least the makings of a proper Prussian army. By my reckoning I'll need one or two more infantry battalions for this, four to five cavalry squadrons and a battery of artillery. I think it'll probably be approaching Christmas before I get anywhere near that target!

Now, where did I put that that glass of delicious Central Otago Pinot Noir?....

Until the next post, cheers and Vive L'Empereur!

WM


Hinton Hunt French Imperial Guard Voltigeurs






Hinton Hunt French Imperial Guard Voltigeurs

12 comments :

  1. They look terrific ! Recently I have been painting Hinchcliffe and HH figures - its great to see how well they come out with a little paint on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jacko. I'm very glad to see that at least one other person in NZ likes HHs!

      Delete
  2. Simply stunning work, that Roy is a very lucky boy. I'm hoping I will get to play on the French side in the game because I would hate to be responsible for causing any casualties in those ranks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A terrific unit, well done

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! a wonderful unit!
    I shall have them buried with me when I go.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are little gems I must say. Pity the 95th Rifles on my painting table will be doing such damage to their plumed ranks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be too dazzled by their shininess to aim properly Matt!

      Delete
  6. Thank 'ee kindly, Gents!

    I should have added that despite my best efforts their blue coats have come out a lot brighter and lighter than they are in the flesh. I've been using Humbrol 104 - Oxford Blue, on these and all my Prussians. If anyone knows of a darker Humbrol blue, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, a stunning battalion indeed! They look excellent, what varnish do they have, , they look nice and shiny. I take my hat off to you Sir :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two coats of Winsor and Newton brilliant gloss acrylic. It feels a bit like cheating, to be honest. These chaps wouldn't look half as good without it.

      Delete
  8. Great job on these Young Guard voltigeurs, well done!

    ReplyDelete