Sunday 20 May 2018

The Prussian Expeditionary Force

All this circumnavigating the globe business takes it out of you a bit. I've been back for just under a week now but the jet lag is still getting to me. Nevertheless, I sat down to do my first bit of preparation, painting and converting today for a new cavalry regiment.

Now readers of this blog will know only too well that cavalry doesn't happen very quickly at the Hinton Spieler, so to keep everyone entertained while I go through the painfully slow production process I'll be posting about my recent war gaming adventures.

To help me in this task was my very own Prussian Expeditionary Force (PEF), which was assembled at the request of Ian S. I had posted it shortly before I set off, so it was with some trepidation that I opened the box at my sister's house after I arrived in the UK. Much to my relief, the only damage was a couple of bent bayonets and a couple of hussars which had come loose from their bases.

The PEF deployed and ready for action somewhere in southern England.


The PEF comprised the 10th (1st Silesian), 18th (6th Reserve) and 25th (von Lutzow) infantry regiments, the Leib Hussars and the Garde du Corps.

Four battles were fought in four different locations over the next two weeks, although the PEF took part in only three of them. The first battle report and perhaps a shot or two of some of my new cavalry will follow from next weekend.

Till then,

WM

19 comments :

  1. Great looking PEF, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. It could easily have been otherwise. The PEF was assembled on the basis that almost every unit was theoretically replaceable should the worst happen. The exception was the Garde du Corps, which are all vintage figures.

      Delete
    2. You were a brave man posting them Matt! Glad they arrived in good order and I look forward to reading more in due course.

      Delete
    3. It is nice to see the Prussian Expeditionary Force in such fine morale after being dispatched to fight on foreign soil.

      Delete
    4. "Reckless" is a better word, perhaps, 'Lee, but I got away with it. I took then home in my hand luggage. I got some funny looks going through the airport scanners, but otherwise there were no problems.

      Judging from my combat record, CN, perhaps I should have brought more of them...

      Delete
  2. Hurrah!!! Life returns to normal with my weekly dose of Spielerdom.
    I assume the PEF made it without harm in your luggage as you don't list any damage. Can the same be said for your new Spring collection of fashionable headgear?
    I look forward to the Prussian perspective on their recent tramping (or should that be trampling) across this fractious isle.
    That said don't tease us for too long the identity of the cavalry regiment you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, my new baldy-head protectors. These also returned undamaged, Rob, I'm very glad to say.

      I'm being a bit coy about the cavalry as it may be a very long time before there's anything to show. I'm trying out a couple of new painting techniques on them which may fail spectacularly, in which case it'll be back to the Dettol jar with them....

      Delete
  3. Agreed. Very brave of you. But happy they survived the trip. Looking forward to the battle reports.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PEF did alright, Stokes. As for me....not so good!

      Delete
  4. What a Lovely sight..if I had the time and space something I would like to emulate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could say the same about everything in your collection, Paul!

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to the reports. The rule of thumb for jet lag is one day per timezone so still a few to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, that's a relief. I was putting it down to being so old and knackered.

      Delete
  6. The PEF are obviously capable of taking on the world not just Europe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They covered themselves in glory, Ian. This was not, however, quite enough to make them win the battles!

      Delete
    2. Ask anyone from the early 1800s whether they would rather be covered in glory and lose, or win without glory.....I think you know the answer. Well done!

      Delete
  7. Brave indeed! Not sure I could make myself post figures I had so much time invested in. So glad it worked out for you! Looking forward to your next post as the jet lag wears off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. There are an awful lot of photos to sort through. As my brain had turned to mush I couldn't quite manage it this week.

      Delete