Sunday 14 March 2021

Lützow Heavy Weapons

I've been terribly busy with various work projects these last few weeks, but as they've finally slackened off a bit I've managed to get some painting done.

Readers of this blog may dimly recall that Mr A. Gentleman very kindly supplied me with a set of wonderful Hinton Hunt Lützower infantry conversions a few years ago. "If you can bung me a few more," I said, "I'll turn them into gunners". I'm somewhat mortified by how long it's taken me to paint them, but here they are at last.

Depicted below are the other ranks. The first two figures, I believe, are conversions of a Hinton Hunt PN 21: Prussian Landwehr infantryman, marching. The third is a charging variant who I think started life as a BN 72: British Fusilier charging. All I needed to do with them was to pare off their muskets and substitute various artillery implements.



I think the the superb Lützower officer conversion which follows was made from an  AN 50: Austrian Artillery Officer. The only change I made to him was to solder on a new scabbard as the original had broken off. I may have overdone the length a bit.



Their gun is still in the works but when it's finished I'll show them all off properly along with the rest of the Prussian gun line.

While I was about these I decided to have a go at a Garrison Russian grenadier who was very generously supplied to me by Rob Young. Like the Garrison Prussian Landwehr Rob also sent to me, he's a wee bit bigger than a standard Hinton Hunt, but not disastrously so.

He's the first of what is to be a little Austro-Russian side project, which will be matched with a few Bavarians and other satellite units on the French side. I've been dying to do this for ages, so despite the fact that Phase 2 of my main project is not quite complete, a battalion of Garrison Russians is what's up next after the Lützowers are finished.


I can't quite articulate what it is that attracts me so much about Garrisons, but every time I get hold of them I find them absolutely irresistible.

Yours

WM


20 comments :

  1. Very nice conversion job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheer genius. Those gunners just gladden the heart. Presumably surgery has been applied to the Austrian at some stage to give him a litewka? I can see the attraction of the Garrisons. Fortunately it is far too late for me. Good to see you back in the saddle, Matthew. You really should give up the work distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoever did these certainly knew what they were about, Archduke. I'd never be able to achieve something like this with my soldering iron. As for the work distractions, I can't give them up yet as I enjoy them too much!

      Delete
    2. How can it ever be too late?

      Delete
  3. Great brushwork as always Matthew. My favourite is the conversion from the Austrian artillery officer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is extremely clever, isn't he, although I wouldn't rate his chances if the Kaiser ever caught up with him. Austrians joining the Prussians? it's an outrage!

      Delete
  4. My Lutzowers need some artillery and these conversions look good. I have spare Landwehr figures so may try something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm weirdly compelled by Lutzower completism, Mark, which is daft given the scale of my armies, but there it is. Just need a few Tyrolean jaegers now...

      Delete
  5. How fantastic to have an utterly unique set of figures to man the guns. Well don sir. All four figures really play their part well. As always, the paintwork is top notch and an inspiration to us all. I'm looking forward to seeing the addition of the gun and 23 more Russian grenadiers! You really did a cracking job on the prototype. Just noticed the sword knot and about fell out of my chair! Not to mention the black lining on the bayonet socket and brass butt plate of the musket...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have absolutely no justification for the Russians, David, but they're such lovely figures I couldn't resist them. Still, they may help to stiffen the Prussian back line a bit, which only has a solitary battalion of Garde zu Fuss at the moment.

      Delete
    2. For me the stand out elements are the buttons on the cuffs and knapsack!

      Delete
    3. Ah yes, the knapsack....Those are going to be endless trouble as I had to paint on loads of detail that isn't really there!

      Delete
  6. I like the conversions and the officer is one of the best. I think having his scabbard drag on the ground just adds character and is probably more accurate - makes it look more like a lethal weapon than the picnic knives some figures are cursed with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all these figures even if, at the moment, my own Napoleonic efforts seem to have stopped - and, of course, I always approve of conversions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob!
      Creating a Russian command group will be a challenge, but it all adds to the fun.

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking toys Matthew...
    A Lützow gun and crew are now added to my must have list...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about your gorgeous Regiment D’Issembourg Aly!

      Delete
  9. Simply wonderful to view and read about . I wish I was a good painter. It is clear I shall never be. The old figures are the best. My lone old figure before 1975 is the Minifigs S range FPW. I should have started collecting Hinton Hunt when David Clayton had the line. I share your love of Garrison figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hal! I just wish those Garrisons weren't so rare. They hardly ever seem to come up for sale. I desire Garrison 1972 charging Prussian landwehr above all things, but I've only ever seen a single solitary soldier on ebay!

      Delete