Monday 5 April 2021

Wrangling Russians

What with it being the long Easter weekend, I thought I'd get cracking on Rob Y's rather more-ish Garrison Russians. As is the tradition with these things, I wanted to get the command group into shape before launching into the rest of the battalion.

First up is my officer conversion, which is a mashup between a 1972 Garrison RN 1: Pavlovski Officer, and an unlisted 1975 RN 5: Russian Grenadier officer bearing a flagstaff. Apart from the obvious head swap, I used the flagstaff to fashion a slightly more robust sword for the conversion.


Rather simpler was my own standard bearer, who is just a 1975 Garrison RN 8: Line Grenadier with his musket removed and holes drilled to hold one of my fizzy flags. The drummer, however, who is based on another RN 8, was a bit more complex. It took the best part of a day to shave back and replace his left arm and attach a drum. His drumsticks still need a bit of work, but I'm nearly there.


I haven't quite decided who they are to represent, but I'm leaning strongly towards the Leib Grenadier Regiment. This appears to have been the only Russian line grenadier regiment which really was composed exclusively of grenadiers and they have the added  advantage of being transferred to the Russian Imperial Guard in 1813, which will make them A+. Just the thing, I'm thinking, for making up a Russo-Prussian Guards division.

My test grenadier will need bit of white lace on his cuffs and collar to turn him into a Leib Grenadier, but this shouldn't take more than jiffy.

Happy Easter!

WM

15 comments :

  1. An unexpected post - how delightful on a nice sunny Easter Monday morning. Your conversion skills are to be applauded, steel flag poles and head swaps I can manage but arm swaps are harder and the new sword soldered on fills me with envy - well done.

    Do you have personality to command this lot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Rob.

      The head was soldered too, which was rather tricky as I didn't want to burn of his gorget. The sword was easier, but he has a very thin wrist so we'll see how it goes.

      I do have a commander for them, as it happens, although he'll have to double up as General Wallmoden, who was still getting about in a Russian uniform in 1813, by all accounts.

      Delete
  2. More impressive soldering skill indeed. Predictably, I like the drummer. For Heaven’s sake, what more work do his drumsticks need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thought exactly Archduke!

      Delete
    2. One of them is quite a bit noticeably thicker than t'other, Archduke, and we can't be having that. The left arm used to be carrying a musket on a Scruby grenadier, nut for some reason I didn't really notice the mismatch until I took the photograph.

      Delete
  3. Looking good - never managed to master the art of soldering these things myself, you have my utmost respect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Rob. My main difficulty is maintaining a good fine point on the tip of the soldering iron, which is not easy to do with the ultra cheap Chinese iron I've been using. It's time to get something a bit more professional perhaps!

      Delete
  4. Great little conversions Matthew...
    I’m looking forward to seeing the finished unit.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this won't take too long, Aly, as I think they're going to look really good arrayed next to the Garde zu Fuss!

      Delete
  5. They are interesting and quite lovely figures that will look a treat when painted, as your painted example shows—not to mention your 'back catalogue'!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them James. I hesitated for a long time before acquiring any Garrisons but once I got my hands on a few I was hooked. I love the way they're animated.

      Delete
  6. Stunning and meticulous conversions as usual Matthew. Your productivity and quality continues to astonish! Looking forward to seeing these with some paint. Not only will they be a visual treat, but with an A+ rating will be a much needed foil for all of that Prussian Landwehr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. I get a lot of fun out of it, not least because of the ever-present risk of a total meltdown. Rob sent me a few spares in this case, however, so the stakes weren't quite so high this time!

      Delete
  7. Those are really nice Matthew and I can see the appeal but I have to point out that only HH figures are allowed A+ status!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I'm afraid that means my DK Chasseurs a Pied have been operating ultra vires for quite a while now!

      Delete