Sunday 6 September 2020

Even Heavier Going

I've been very busy with other things again this week, but a bit of progress was made on the cuirassiers.


They don't look like much yet, but I'm pleased to say that most of the particularly tricky bits have been done. It's really only the metallic parts, plus a few other odds and ends, that need to be completed now. To keep my spirits up I'm also trying not to remember that there's another whole squadron to go when these are finished.

My friend Rob G, who challenged me to a horserace, notwithstanding my massive head start, is already way ahead of me. Pictured below are his wonderful takes on General Nansouty and the Brunswick Hussars.

Nansouty Reports for Duty
The Pride of Brunswick, with added Ponsonby
I think they're absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to see what the second squadron is going to look like, which will be light dragoons by all accounts.

Have a good one,

WM

16 comments :

  1. Nice work both - that Rob should have his own blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nearly there. I know these guys are going to be the gold standard of cuirassier units. Just tell me Nansouty is off his pole.
    Rob G's pics are just glorious. What a great wheeze using film stills as backdrop. Now, where can I get hold of the artwork for Bondarchuk's "Wagram"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting shot, isn't it. I had no idea Belgium was so mountainous.

      Delete
    2. The mountains all collapsed in the 1830s after all the chocolate had been mined out....

      Delete
    3. The cuirassiers are coming along nicely... Matt
      Robs toys also look marvellous...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. It's a while since I painted a cavalry unit and both yours and Robs are excellent. Are you going to plough on with the second squadron or paint something else next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very dangerous question Mark. The temptation to ditch these and paint something else is almost overwhelming.

      Delete
  4. Ah, just the cure for any painting ennui. I am always reinspired after perusing your latest Napoleonic projects.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stokes. Your magnificent cavalry regiments are an endless source of wonder for me, not least in demonstrating how I really shouldn't be moaning so much about having to paint just six figures.

      Delete
  5. Very nice units all around! As for the cuirassiers, take heart, you are almost to the point where you can visualize a whole regiment of them on the board, striking terror into their foes wherever they go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed sustained by a vision of the dastardly JC quaking in his boots.

      Delete
  6. The dastardly JC? I do hope that’s not me!
    Looking at what you do here I’m even more flabbergasted that war gamers went for hulking 25mm figures in the 70s. I mean, they were good enough for Callan. Mind you, my gaming generation is no better with the 28mm nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fear not Jeffers - JC, AKA the Fendalton Fusilier, is one of my regular opponents, whose dastardlyness is exceeded only by my other other regular opponent, DF, AKA the Mount Maunganui Musketeer.

    The demise of 20mm is a curious thing, I agree. It's such a convenient scale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shame - I dream of being dastardly and having the appropriate moustache 😎

    ReplyDelete