Sunday 1 January 2023

The Fifty Seconds

As promised, I present the 52nd, led here by Sir John Colborne, later to become the 1st Baron Seaton. He's Seaton on his horse now.









A couple of vintage Hinton Hunts, I'm pained to admit, were harmed in the making of this regiment. One of these was a BN 20: British Rifles Bugler, to whom I added some shoulder wings to turn him into a light infantryman





The second was Sir John Colborne's horse, which started out as an FNH 10: French General's horse, converted into a British Infantry Officer's horse.


And to finish up, here's what they look like with my other two Anglo-Hanoverian regiments. Some British artillery to go with them is looking a bit overdue.


The figures used for the 52nd were:

Hinton Hunt:
BN 93: British Light Infantry charging x 20
BN 90: British Light Infantry Officer charging x 1
BN 20: British Rifles Bugler, converted into a British Light Infantry Bugler, x1
FNH 10: French general officer's horse, converted into a British infantry officer's horse

Der Kriegspielers Napoleonique:
#154: British Light Infantry Command Group regimental colour bearers x 2, with a few modifications

Alberken:
BN 35: British light infantry officer, converted into a British Light Infantry colonel x 1

For those who haven't spotted it yet, Colborne is my new avatar. He was a Wellington Man, after all.

Happy New Year everyone!

WM

20 comments :

  1. An elite unit in every way and deserving of fire support. So is it a British gun next? An artillery unit will be a nice break after such a long haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought painting them all at once, as a whole battalion, would speed things up, but...er....it didn't work out that way. I owe you and a number of other people some really big drinks for helping me get these chaps into the Southern Hemisphere.

      I've got cavalry lined up for the next batch, but it'll definitely be gunners after that.

      Delete
  2. Well they have kicked of the New Year in style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Laughter*.. I pondered for the longest time about how to represent the 52nd, but charging at full tilt was clearly the only answer. I'm very glad you like them Mark.

      Delete
  3. Very nice! And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rob. They don't really fit into my order of battle at the moment, but having finally got enough of them I just had to paint them!

      Delete
  4. They are simply awesome! Happy New Year WM and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. The best for 2023 to you and yours too.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful…

    A splendid start to 2023 Matthew…
    Happy New Year and all the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they'll give me a boost, Aly. 2022's output was simply miserable.

      Delete
  6. Lovely job and nice that the pun is similar vintage to the figures ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an excellent treat for your readers to kick off 2023! Blooming marvellous job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been pretty thin gruel for my readers lately, Matt. I painted all of 12 figures in 2022. I'm countng these as painted in 2023 so that this year's total will look a tiny bit more respectable.

      Delete
  8. Well now, those were certainly worth the wait. I'm not sure where to start with the superlatives. Sir John is a triumph, though it will take awhile to get use to an avatar not wearing a panama hat! The DK standard bearers look perfectly at home with their HH brethren and those flags, what a magnificent transformation of a DK slab-o-lead. As usual the rank and file are magnificent. I particularly like the subtle highlighting of their jackets as well as the shading of the trousers. Was that a wash or a dry brush technique? Regardless, a beautiful battalion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to replace the avatar. It depicted me on the day after I arrived in New Zealand in 2008. I had hair and all my own hips and everything back then. As for now....let's just say I've "gone
      grey in the service"...I look exactly like Colborne, however, as you know.

      The trousers were done with a black wash and a light grey dry brush, which is why they look so...er... "campaign worn". I suspect a bit of wet brush highlighting would probably have worked better in retrospect!

      Delete
  9. The fifty seconds gave me a four minute smile - sublime work Matthew! I think perhaps some tartan is in order next? Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Laughter*. Fifty seconds is how long it takes them to defeat the enemy.

      As for tartan, that line up at the end is sort of calling out for it, isn't it.

      Delete
    2. If you followed them up with their mates in the 71st, you’d only have to do the tartan around the hat....
      Just to look at these. No wonder those Chasseurs bravely b*****ed off....

      Delete
    3. I don't think that's what Stryker meant, Archduke. Besides, I don't think I could face doing 21 pairs of shoulder wings quite so soon. The 52nd are going to have a to 'wing it' on their own for a bit.

      Delete